Budesonide (Pulmicort) and saline sinus irrigation contains an anti-inflammatory steroid medication that can be used to decrease nasal and sinus inflammation. It is dispensed in liquid form in a vial. Although it is manufactured for use with a nebulizer, we intend for you to use it with the SinuMed Sinus Cleansing System or comparable sinus rinse system.
- Make 240cc of saline solution in the SinuMed bottle using distilled, bottled, filtered, or previously boiled (and cooled) water and the powder packets in the kit. DO NOT use water directly from the faucet.
- Water should be lukewarm.
- Twist the top off of the plastic vial containing the budesonide.
- Add the entire 2cc vial of liquid budesonide to the rinse bottle, fasten the cap securely onto the bottle and gently shake to mix together.
- Hold the bottle so it is upside down and place the nozzle (the blue tip) into your nostril. Place your finger on the button on the bottom of the bottle.
- Bend slightly over a sink to allow the rinse to come out of the opposite nostril.
- Keep your mouth open and breathe through your mouth. Press the button on the bottom of the bottle to actuate the irrigation. Use approximately half of the solution on the first side then repeat for the other nostril.
- Clean the bottle using a small amount of dish washing liquid or baby shampoo and water. Ensure all components are clean including the nozzle, spout, and cap. Use a towel to wipe excess water and allow to air dry prior to each use.